January 12, 2012

Mochi mochi Ano Ne?



Mochitsuki - the pounding of rice cakes or mochi is one of the Japanese traditions every New Year or Oshogatsu. Last Sunday, our dorm manager organized this activity together with other folks in the neighborhood. To make mochi, glutinous rice is first cooked or steamed before being transferred into a wooden mortar or usu to be pounded (with all your might) using a wooden mallet or kine until the mochi reaches its smooth consistency. Small amount of water is also added into the sticky mass after each pounding. This mochi will then be used as the main ingredient for a variety of local New Year delicacies.
Kids and adults alike take turns in pounding the mochi


After several series of pounding and more pounding still (which was very tiring), our mochi was ready to be consumed in its different forms. This versatile and chewy glutinous mass was skillfully transformed into interesting and mouth-watering goodies. Together with all the participants, we partake on the fruits of our labor (literally). I really liked the ozuni soup since it's a perfect comfort food on a very cold day. I also enjoyed the sweet oshiruku with its red bean paste. I think the closest Pinoy delicacy to mochi is the Palitaw, which I also love. 

Top right clockwise: oshiruko (mochi with red bean paste); grilled mochi; zunda (mochi with green soybean); and ozuni soup 

We were also treated with a lively performance by a family of taiko (Japanese drum) players. What a way to start the New Year, i.e. with a bang and boom! After they're finished, we were allowed to play the drums on our own. Unfortunately in my case, I sucked big time playing the instrument.

A family of Taiko (Japanese drum) players



Me and my dormmates trying to play the drums



















Overall, this was again a wonderful experience. Aside from eating good food, I also got to interact with my dormmates and with other people more. Looking forward to the next dorm activity, hmmm... Valentines?


No comments:

Leave a comment