January 5, 2011

Memorable Travels of 2010




Phuket, Thailand (July) - This trip was one of my most difficult because of e-passport and financial issues coupled with the political turmoil in Bangkok then, but thank God, I made it still. Arriving almost midnight, my impression of Thailand changed a lot immediately upon entering their ultra modern and huge (as in super huge) Suvarnabhumi Airport. I am forced to spend the night at Suvarnabhumi to catch my connecting flight to Phuket Island the following day. Now, I can really relate with stranded passengers in airports (finding a comfy make-shift bed was really challenging). Anyway, going to Phuket was a breeze. The island is the premier tourist destination in Thailand and it looks like Davao, Cebu, Boracay and Sta. Rosa rolled into one. The Conference was very informative and inspiring. But the most memorable were the island-hoping to the Phi Phi Islands (similar to those in Palawan) and the Island Safari Tour (the very first time I rode an elephant).


Puerto Princesa, Palawan (November) - Similar to my trip to Thailand, I did not expect to go to Palawan but because of the convincing power of my colleague, I gave in. Luckily enough funds were available enabling me to secure a ticket and hotel reservation. If the Thailand trip was the most tensed, the Palawan was more of a stress-free vacation (hehehe). The highlight of the trip was the tour of the Underground River (one of the finalists in the 7 New Wonders of Nature). Though the environs were very similar to those in Phuket, the natural beauty of the river is truly unique and enchanting. Shopping in Puerto Princesa for pearls was also worth remembering because of the sobrang murang prices (I really recommend this).

This 2011, I hope to travel more, ala Lonely Planet type. If things go well, I will add Japan to the list of "been there, done that." I might also join photowalk trips (provided I have a new DSLR). Happy travelling!

No comments:

Leave a comment